The Late Bishop Joseph P. Lowery, Founder
Being a chosen vessel, God called Bishop Joseph Preston Lowery on February 19, 1978 to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was charged and compelled to spread the word through street ministry, evangelism, crusades, and revivals. Having been found faithful in his demonstration of love towards all people, the Lord spoke to Bishop Lowery in 1981 and the St. Matthew Apostolic Temple Church was founded. The initial meeting was held at the home of Sis. Bertha Bynum. In attendance were seventeen adults and several children.
And they continued daily with one accord in the temple and breaking bread from house to house and they did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
On February 22, 1981, the congregation began having services at the Masonic Temple located at 14th Street and Highland Avenue. We worshipped at this location for three years and four months.
While driving up and down New Walkertown Road, Bishop Joseph and Evangelist Josephine Lowery spotted a piece of land and with the vision of the Holy Spirit in mind saw what would later become the home of St. Matthew Apostolic Temple Church.
On June 24, 1984, a convoy of 105 cars, led by a police escort, traveled from the Masonic Hall to our new edifice located at 3640 New Walkertown Rd.
Following the ribbon cutting and pictures being taken, the doors of the church were unlocked and the Saints marched in singing “We’ve Come This Far by Faith”.
"It's a Family Affair On Apostolic Square"
St. Matthew Apostolic Temple
3640 New Walkertown Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27105
(336) 724-1780 | firstname.lastname@example.org